Writing is my passion. Getting words across a page is something I want to do for a living. Currently, I am a sophomore English/ Journalism major at the University of New Hampshire. Also, I hold a position as a Staff Writer in the Sports section of the universities student run newspaper "TNH". Besides writing, I find myself always listening to music. I love all genres. Enjoy my blog!
Sunday, September 15, 2013
How I Am Adapting to Writing News
Writing news is easy, right? Well, it turns out it is harder than I thought. In order to writing news, you have to know what you are doing. One must gather credible information, which means going out and finding the news, then going out and finding sources that relate to the particular story you are writing about. The lead must be an eye-grabber for the reader, and you must have good quotes that further your story, rather than delay or setback the news. I am still trying to get the hang of writing disciplined with the right AP style, which is another challenge because there are just so many rules! It can be stressful. Other than the challenge of finding the right sources to reach out to when writing the story, it has been fun. Just recently I had to change my story for the week, because my sources were just not good enough, or were not available. But, I will either continue the story for a feature article in class, or run off it with a different idea. Also, I need to go outside of the box with news stories. I tend to stick at what I know best, rather go out and find something I am not familiar with. I will try that for my new story for the upcoming week. I will continue to read "Inside Reporting", and get familiar with the AP Stylebook, and just maybe I will be a little bit better than I was writing my last article!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment