Sunday, September 15, 2013

My Boston Globe Observations

I have been reading the Boston Globe more than ever since buying this subscription, which was mandatory. But, I am glad I was forced to do it, because I might have not invested in this being a stingy, money saving college student. The past class we discussed about what makes a great lead, what defines a lead, and also the struggles of finding that lead. Well, I have been looking at leads more than ever now, and when I read the Globe I find good intriguing leads that grab me by the eyes and push me further down into the article. Now, those are great leads. These leads inspire me to do just that, because if you do not have a great lead, you probably won't be able to get the audience to read your article, unless they really do have all the time in the world to read countless articles of a newspaper. In this day in age, the odds of finding an audience like that is close to impossible. Also, during my readings of the Globe, I was able to notice a constant formula. It starts of with a good lead, fulfilling the Who, What, Where, When, and usually succeeding the How and Why later in the article. Quotes are drawn in purposely at the control of the article. What I mean by this, is that the person who is writing the article carefully chooses the quotes that make sense in that particular moment of the piece. Another thing to is that most of these articles either have a title that tells you what that article is about, or the article has a title that really interests you. I enjoy eye-grabbing title's, and I know the sports section of the Globe has some!

No comments:

Post a Comment