Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sports writing: my hobby.

When it comes to writing sports, one must be prepared to break down every phase of the game.
what makes writing a sports article so interesting is that anything can happen over the course of the game. Sometimes you get a good idea how a game is going to turn out, for instance a No.1 overall seed plays a No.16 seed and almost everyone feels that the No.1 seed will come out on top based on their ability to claim the title as number one. Game summaries most of the time is just taking notes of what happens in the game like goals, big plays, clutch moments, injuries, milestones, etc. Game summaries seems repetitive, but they don't have to be. I feel like when I write game summaries I try to make it different each time. I try to pick out key moments or unexpected moments like two players getting into an argument. As well as sometimes there are times where a game I am covering is a total blowout, so instead of focusing on the score I try to zone in on a particular player who stood out and focus the story around that player. Sports news is always being read in the newspaper, and people discredit sports journalists on the level that it is not important. But, almost every person spends some time on the television watching a sports event, like the every Sunday ritual season of football. Getting away from the stress of our lives, sporting games are always an option to get into. People love sports, and to those die hard fans, they need the most up to date news on their favorite team. I love sports, and I love writing about them, but I know I need to get into other stories than sports. It just becomes a hassle sometimes when you can't find a decent story, or even the resources to support it. Looks like another sports article is on the way, but it will be my last one for awhile. I will try harder to get a story on campus that is not affiliated with UNH sports, however it doesn't mean sport stories are less important!

No comments:

Post a Comment