In my last article, I was able to get some solid quotes but I wasn't satisfied. Maybe it was because I felt like the majority of the people I interviewed had little or the same thing to say. So, now it comes to my goal to prevent that. Instead of talking to 3-5 people, I am going to talk to as many people as I can possibly get and find the better quotes to contribute to my article. I also learned that instead of quoting everything someone said, I could paraphrase the unimportant quotes as a filler to inform the reader as long as that filler is important to the article. Since this article is going to be covering an entertainer, my goal will be to entertain the reader. I am going to strive to be really descriptive, to paint an image in the reader just as if they were there at the event. Instead of sticking to common ground, I guess you could say I wan't to step out of the comfort zone with this one.
The comfort zone I find myself in is writing to what I know. What's the fun in writing if you already know? I rather not know. Whether its an event I am covering, a lecture, a meeting. I want to walk into it without any knowledge, and with that mind state I will ask many questions which will help fuel my writing later on. Doing things different will help me adapt not only as a person, but in my skills. I may have the ability to gather information well, but to grasp something that is foreign to me is a thing I want to work on, and with that the million questions will follow until I am comfortable with the answers. It's like news articles. People tend to read the same one's on a particular topic, well for me it's like writing in the same way. If you want it to be interesting, you have to do something no one has done before and that is what I am going to strive to do in this next article!
No comments:
Post a Comment