Saturday, October 12, 2013

Speech story continued.....or not?

Turns out the speech story is not happening anymore. Being a writer series, Collier was there to read a few of his poems and well that was it. Getting a speech out of poems and a few words regarding how he created them is not bulletin material, therefore I went after a profile with the UNH soccer team, whom I write for on a weekly basis for the school newspaper: TNH. The profile will be covering UNH goalkeeper Travis Worra, who is having a breakout year in net, so I though it was newsworthy since he is No.2 in the country with goals against average, and save percentage. It was kind of depressing not to be able to do a speech story, since I thought it would be interesting to see how a poet creates his/her poems, and how long the writing process takes. The speech story will live another day in due time. The profile piece is interesting, because I look into the background of Worra, the road to get to UNH, and well to where he is now. It's always interesting to see how student athletes do what they do, and well getting to talk to a few of them, they are just as human as everyone. Obviously they are playing on a scholarship, so they have to live up to high standards, and on top of that show up to class, and do well in school. If the profile didn't work, then I could have a potential wide range of stories since it is homecoming weekend, and well there was a heck of a lot of tailgating going on today. Overhearing a police officer, and some other people who were in the area of the tailgate witnessed over 6,000 people tailgating, which is one of the bigger numbers the campus has seen in over 20 years. It would have been interesting to look into homecoming weekend as a whole, and how it is a getaway for students/alumni to get together and celebrate. Overall, I was satisfied with my work, even though I had to switch up a last minute story, but that's what journalists have to do. They have to adjust, think on their feet, and well I think I'm learning how to do just that early on. It's a good sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment