Thursday, October 10, 2013

Speech Day

Today I will take a crack at reporting a speech. Oh. Boy. I am a tad bit nervous about it, because it's out of my comfort zone on writing. However, it will be quite interesting how I will come up with a good story behind it. The speech will be taking place in a few hours on campus as part as a writing series taken place at the MUB.

 I did some research on the speaker (Michael Collier) before hand, so I at least have an idea of what he is about. He is a poet, a very acclaimed one as a matter of fact. So, it should be interesting on what he has to say. I NEED GOOD QUOTES. Good quotes are going to fuel the story, and well since it is a speech.....it kinda has too don't you think? Writing has been on my side so far, and I feel good about whatever I write, but it will not matter how good my writing is unless I have some good quotes. They can't be cliches, and they can't be irrelevant.

Coming into this speech, I am going to try to depict a quote that will resemble the whole lecture as a whole, basically pertaining to why Collier is here at UNH doing a lecture. News Writing 621's book of "Inside Reporting" has been a great tool for me, and has given me some ideas of how to go about writing this speech story effectively.

 So there you have it. I have a plan, and I have a speech story to cover today, and I am looking forward to getting this checked off from the series of different articles I have to write. I will inform you all on the aftermath of this lecture later on, and hopefully it will be all good news shared!

No comments:

Post a Comment